Mary Costa-Pearson
The holidays are soon approaching!! I am excited, especially for Thanksgiving it is my favorite! As I was sitting here making my grocery list and trying to plan breakfasts while I have company here Sat. night to Tues. I decided this would be a great one to make. Its one of my favorite breakfast dishes, and when I make it and take it anywhere I always get asked for the recipe, so I thought I would share it on my blog. You really can't go wrong with anything Paula Deen makes! Its nice because you can make it the night before and just pop it into the oven the next day when you are ready to bake it. You can also make the praline topping ahead of time too, just make sure to take it out of the fridge an hour or so before you plan to bake the casserole so it can soften(learned that one the hard way!)

Ingredients

  • 1 loaf French bread (13 to 16 ounces)
  • 8 large eggs
  • 2 cups half-and-half
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • Dash salt
  • Praline Topping, recipe follows
  • Maple syrup

Directions

Slice French bread into 20 slices, 1-inch each. (Use any extra bread for garlic toast or bread crumbs). Arrange slices in a generously buttered 9 by 13-inch flat baking dish in 2 rows, overlapping the slices. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half-and-half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and beat with a rotary beater or whisk until blended but not too bubbly. Pour mixture over the bread slices, making sure all are covered evenly with the milk-egg mixture. Spoon some of the mixture in between the slices. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.

The next day, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Spread Praline Topping evenly over the bread and bake for 40 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden. Serve with maple syrup.

Praline Topping:

  • 1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and blend well. Makes enough for Baked French Toast Casserole.


Hide CaptionPhoto 1 of 2

1 Response
  1. Seed to Sow Says:

    Ok woah! I can't wait to make this!!!!!!!! Thanks for posting!


Post a Comment